Packing functionality enables support for packing multiple products into a package, e.g. a box of 10 units. It is possible to plan and use bulk packaging materials in the manufacturing process.
Attention! The use of the Packing function is not required if each item is packaged individually. In this case, the packaging material is a usual raw material and the packaging operation must be included in the routing.
- Demo video: Packing.
- Enable Packing.
- Usage of packaging materials:
- Calculating the weight of shipments.
Packing functionality can be enabled in Settings -> System settings -> Enterprise settings -> Packing.
When this functionality is enabled:
- The following features appear:
- Section Packing on the BOM details page.
- Column Packaged on the Stock -> Items and Stock -> Stock lots pages.
- Button to Print package labels on the shipment details page.
- Item setting Weight on the item details page.
- Column Weight on the shipment details page.
- It is possible to:
- Include packaging materials and package quantity in the BOM.
- Include packaging costs in the cost of the manufactured product.
- Plan and use packaging in MOs.
- Keep track of the packaged and not packaged products.
- Plan the need for packaging material.
- Use the weight of products and packaging, calculate the weight of a shipment, and use it in shipping documents.
Usage of packaging materials
1. Setting up packaging materials
A packaging item is created as a usual stock item. It must be
- an inventory item,
- can be either procured or manufactured.
2. Adding packing information of a product into its BOM
In the Packing section of the BOM:
- Select an item as the packaging material.
- Enter a number of ready products that fit into the package.
If you do not need to use packaging in the BOM, clear the “Product group” and “Packaging” fields.
3. Using packaging in Manufacturing Orders
When an MO is created, the quantity of necessary packaging is calculated.
- The quantity of packaging is rounded up to a full number.
Packaging material is presented in the last row of the list of materials.
If the packaging material is a manufactured item with a bill of materials:
- Its parts (and operations) are not included in this MO. It will not be considered as a nested sub-assembly, which will be assembled in the same MO.
- A separate MO must be created to manufacture the packaging material.
Reporting packing in My production plan
The packaging is not consumed automatically when using the “Consume parts for end-products” button.
The packaging must be consumed explicitly:
- Find the packaging material. It is the last row in the list of parts.
- Click the Consume button.
- Enter the quantity that is consumed.
- As the packaging is consumed, the quantity of Packaged products increases immediately (in Stock -> Items and Stock -> Stock lots).
Reporting packing in Internet-kiosk
When a worker reports the finish of the last operation of the MO, then:
- All booked packaging will be automatically consumed.
- The MO will be marked finished.
- Packaged products are counted to stock.
4. Shipping packaged products, printing package labels
To print package labels, press Print package labels on the shipment details screen.
Package labels are used to place additional information on packages to reflect the number of products in the package and the number of packages in this shipment.
Package labels can include package weight if product weights are defined.
The size, information, and layout of the label can be edited with the Label editor.
Calculating the weight of shipments
When the Packing functionality is enabled, then it is possible to define the weight of each product in the item details.
This will be then used to automaticlly calculate the weight of the shipment.
With the help of the PDF Editor, the weight can be added to the Waybill and Packing list.