Create a New Manufacturing Order
- How to schedule a Manufacturing Order?
- How is a Bill of Materials used in production scheduling?
- How is an operation's duration calculated?
- How are manufacturing overhead, labor, and materials costs calculated?
- What is finite resources scheduling? What is material and capacity planning?
- What is forward scheduling?
- What is backward scheduling?
- How to edit the proposed schedule - materials, operations, workers?
- How to schedule subcontracted services?
- How to schedule make-to-order bespoke manufacturing?
A new Manufacturing Order can be created from Production planning -> Manufacturing Orders, by clicking Create Create.
When creating a new Manufacturing Order:
- Choose a product.
- Enter the quantity.
- Optionally, enter the Due date for scheduling backward from an end date. (Enterprise feature)
- Optionally, enter the Start date to set the earliest preferred start time.
- The system will:
- calculate a possible schedule corresponding to each of the item's BOMs and the Routings associated with the BOM;
- it will propose materials bookings (default by FIFO; or by FEFO, for perishable goods);
- consider the lead time of missing materials (then the BOM is displayed with red italic font);
- estimate the total cost = material cost + manufacturing overhead + labor cost.
- To see and edit the details of the schedule, or to choose another Routing, click on View/Edit View button on the BOM line.
- Choose the desired BOM.
- Save to confirm the order.
The scheduling takes into account all limitations in resources, including other jobs, the planned idle times for machines and lead times of out of stock materials. To use automatic scheduling, the item must have a Bill of Materials and a Routing.
By default, the software schedules the Manufacturing Order to the first available time. By entering the Start date, you are letting the software know that production should start before that date, and the first availability will be searched for starting from the Start date.
In the Enterprise pricing plan the software also allows backward scheduling: when you set the Due date, the software will try to find the latest possible time to finish Just-In-Time before the Due date.
If it is not possible to finish before the Due date, the first available time is scheduled.
To see and edit the details of the proposed schedule when planning a new MO, click on View/Edit View button on the BOM line.
This page allows
- seeing the detailed information about material availability,
- seeing the detailed operations schedule,
- seeing the detailed estimated costs,
- choosing between Routings,
- editing proposed material bookings,
- editing the operations (incl. adding extra workers),
- changing assigned workers.
By default, the following worker is assigned to an operation:
- The default Worker of the workstation.
- The default Worker in the Routing, if (a) is undefined.
- The user creating the MO, (a) and (b) are undefined.
If an operation is done by a subcontractor (i.e. a vendor is selected as the “Workstation group” in the Routing) then the MO details page will include the section Subcontracts where this subcontract will be displayed.
If your company works in the "Make to order" mode and makes bespoke products, then adding a BOM and the Routing could sometimes be overhead.
For basic scheduling without capacity planning, it is possible to create a manufacturing order without these documents.
Creating a make-to-order manufacturing order:
- Start, as usual, by clicking Create Create at Production planning -> Manufacturing Orders.
- Choose a product and enter the quantity.
- From the pop-up warning, choose to create a Manufacturing Order without a BOM.
- Enter the required materials.
- Optionally, enter the Start and Finish dates, then the MO will be displayed in the Production Schedule.
Such manufacturing order must be created manually, and cannot be created automatically from a customer order. For creating a make-to-order MO, it is also possible to do so from a CO:
- Open a Customer Order.
- Click Check stock and book items.
- Click To book manually.
- Click Create a manufacturing order.
If capacity scheduling is required, then a new item with BOM and a Routing needs to created for every project.
This can be done very easily from within the Customer Order when entering the order, after which it is possible to also automatically schedule the Manufacturing Order.