Importing customers from a CSV file
At CRM -> Customers it is possible to upload many customers' information at once.
What is CSV? CSV (Comma-Separated Values) is a universal format for importing or exporting tabular data. A CSV file can be obtained by saving/exporting e.g. an Excel file as CSV (Comma delimited) (*.csv).
When uploading the CSV file:
- Select and match the names of the fields corresponding to the columns in the data.
- Check the "The first row is heading" option if the first row of the file contains headers. Then the first row will not be imported.
- Select "Do not import" as the column type if some column is not to be imported.
- Click Import to upload the data into the appropriate fields of the database.
- If importing of some data failed, a skip file will be generated and downloaded to your computer, which indicates all errors line-by-line.
- Number – a unique code to identify the customer. If a customer with the same number already exists, then this entry is ignored.
If not imported, the code will be generated automatically.
- Company name – the name of the customer company. This is a required field, other fields are optional;
- Status – status of the customer (plain text). Customer statuses are saved at Settings -> System Settings -> Customer Statuses. If a status does not exist it will be created.
- Registration number;
- Tax/VAT number;
- Phone 2;
- Address 2;
- Additional information - free text notes;
- Contact person's name;
- Contact person's position;
- Contact person's phone;
- Contact person's fax;
- Contact person's Skype;
- Contact person's e-mail.
|Number||Name||Status||VAT nr||Phone||Phone 2||Address||Address 2||Contact person||...|
|CU-012||Customer 1||Permanent||Primary phone||Secondary phone||info@ABC||Primary address||Secondary address||John Smith||...|
|Customer 2||New||12345||Primary phone||Secondary phone||info@XYZ||Shipping address||Billing address||Jane Smith||...|
|(Up to 3000 lines can be imported at once)|
Download a sample file: import-customers.csv
- If the imported file contains non-Latin characters, the file must be in UTF-8 (preferred) or Unicode encoding. If Excel is used to save the file, select the "Unicode Text (*.txt)" option in the "Save as type" field. Even though the extension of the file is TXT, it can be imported as a CSV-file.
- The limit is 3000 lines per upload. If the file is bigger, divide it into several smaller files.
- Since importing can be a question of trial-and-error, we strongly suggest making a back-up of the database before importing. In that case, if anything goes wrong, it is always possible to restore the previous session.