The Non-inventory items functionality gives the ability to use non-inventory items, i.e. to turn off inventory tracking for these items.
- Non-inventory items can only be used in Purchase Orders, Customer Orders, and Invoices (can be bought and sold, as, for example, office equipment).
- Non-inventory items cannot be used in BOMs, Manufacturing Orders, or Shipments.
- These items are not part of inventory or inventory management (these items do not have stock lots, bookings, etc). They aren't visible in Stock -> Inventory.
This functionality can be enabled at Settings -> System settings -> Professional functions -> Non-inventory items.
When the functionality is enabled, then:
- The setting This is an inventory item (Yes/No) will become available when creating a new article at Stock -> Items. This setting Defaults to "Yes" (entered item is a stock item).
- Once the item has been saved, then this setting cannot be changed. An inventory item cannot be converted to non-inventory and vice-versa.
- Demo video: Non-Inventory Items
- Using non-inventory items in Customer Orders
- Expense items for procured services
- Charging for services
If the Professional function “Non-inventory items” is enabled, non-inventory items can be added to customer orders.
You can use these for services that have no direct cost (for example, an additional guarantee).
However, we do not recommend using non-inventory items for services, because in this case you will be not able to have any statistics on their sales. Please read what we recommend in this FAQ section article.
Non-inventory items are ignored when the software updates the customer order’s Status and Part status. If a customer order contains non-inventory items only, it is possible to select any CO status manually.
If the item has a cost (for example, shipping that you order from a vendor of yours), then please create a regular item. This allows linking customer orders with purchase orders, and thus allocating costs towards particular customer orders. For separating these items from inventory items, please create a separate product group.
If you pay for services or non-inventory items, which should be expensed immediately, it is possible to:
- Set an expense account as the default posting account for non-inventory items.
- Go to Accounting -> Chart of accounts.
- Edit the expense account.
- Select it to be a default account for "non-inventory items".
- Or, set a custom account for the product group, which contains the non-inventory items.
If you have been billed for your non-inventory item now, but it is actually the last month's expense, then, for your correct bookkeeping enter the invoice date from the last month.
See also: Automatic accounting transactions.