The Non-inventory items functionality gives the ability to use non-inventory stock items, i.e. to turn off inventory tracking for some items (e.g. office supplies, furniture, rent, utilities, etc).
Actually, in your regular business activity, you should not use them at all.
Usage of non-inventory items:
- Non-inventory items can only be used in Purchase Orders and Invoices (can be bought and sold).
- Non-inventory items cannot be used in BOMs, Manufacturing Orders, or Customer Orders.
- These items are not part of inventory or inventory management - these items do not have stock lots, bookings, etc.
This functionality can be enabled at Settings -> System settings -> Professional functions -> Non-inventory items.
If this functionality is enabled, then:
- The setting This is an inventory item (Yes/No) will become available when creating a new article at Stock -> Items. This setting Defaults to "Yes".
- Once the item has been saved, then this setting cannot be changed. An inventory item cannot be converted to non-inventory and vice-versa.
If you have been billed for your non-inventory item now, but it is actually the last month's expense, then, for your correct bookkeeping enter Invoice Date from the last month.
To select a specific account, where the non-inventory item cost will be posted in MRPeasy accounting, configure the default posting account for non-inventory items as an expense account:
- Go to Accounting -> Chart of accounts.
- Edit the expense account.
- Select it to be a default account for "non-inventory items".
In this case, the product group of the non-inventory item should not have an Inventory account associated (check it at Stock -> Stock settings -> Product groups).