Barcode System: Printing and Scanning Barcodes
The Barcode System functionality enables barcode reader support for MRPeasy, plus generation and printing barcodes from MRPeasy.
- Barcodes for manufacturing inventory.
- How to use barcodes for fast and accurate lookup and data entry.
- How to enforce stock lot traceability through the use of barcoding.
User Manual: Barcode System: Printing and Scanning Barcodes
With the Enterprise plan of MRPeasy, it is possible to enable barcoding support. You can assign barcodes, print labels, use barcode readers and more.
Barcoding is very useful if you have many stock items. There are three main benefits:
- Firstly, faster lookup of information;
- Secondly, faster data entry;
- Thirdly, less room for mistakes.
In MRPeasy, there are two types of barcodes, that can be generated:
- Item barcodes
- Stock lot barcodes
An item barcode is shared among all pieces of the same stock item. It is used to identify the item.
When an item’s barcode is scanned, then this either performs a search function in the section of the software where you currently are, and it will bring up a list of relevant information, for example, the concerning Purchase Orders, Manufacturing Orders, or Customer Orders.
Or if you are entering data, scanning the item’s barcode will auto-fill the item selection field.
The barcodes can be assigned and printed in the item’s details page, by clicking on the “print barcode” button.
By default, MRPeasy automatically generates unique codes, but you can reassign the barcode well if the item already has its own barcode beforehand.
Here, you can choose the paper size and define the variables to fit your label printer. If you click Print, the new barcode is saved to the item, if changed, and a PDF is generated which can be printed out.
Stock lot barcodes
If stock lot tracking is an important operation in your company, then, to make identification and tracking easier, it’s possible to print out stock lot labels together with unique barcodes for each lot.
When a lot barcode is scanned, then by default, the software searches for this stock lot and opens its details page.
If you are reporting production operations, and are in the “My production plan”, then if you scan the lot barcode, then:
- If the items from this lot are booked for this order, then a consumption reporting window opens, where you can enter the quantity to be consumed.
- If the items from this lot are not booked for this manufacturing order, you will receive an error message – so you couldn’t mistakenly consume the wrong items.
Printing out stock lot labels can be done in several locations in the software:
- First, the worker who is receiving purchased goods can print lot labels with barcodes during receipt.
- Second, this can be done anytime from the “stock – stock lots” section, by clicking on the “print” button on any line.
- Third, the production manager or worker, from inside a manufacturing order, can print the label with the barcode to uniquely identify the products.
Barcodes can be enabled at section “settings – system settings – enterprise functions”.
You can choose if barcodes are assigned automatically to items, the type of the barcode, and enter your company’s unique prefix.
Supported barcode readers
Since MRPeasy is online software, and a barcode reader technically works as a keyboard, a barcode reader which is compatible with your device will work almost certainly work with MRPeasy.
Generally, the barcode readers can be connected via USB for computers and via Bluetooth for tablets and smartphones.
In addition, the MRPeasy iOS and Android apps allow the device’s camera to be used as a barcode reader.
In this video, we showed how to use barcodes and barcode readers together with MRPeasy.
To learn more about MRPeasy, please see our other videos.
Thanks for watching!
Keywords: Barcoding, barcode system, barcode labels, inventory management, stock lot tracking, manufacturing inventory barcodes